Charged: Nathan Abela. Photo: Screen grab Shots were fired at the home of Nathan Abela. Photo: Facebook
Anti-Islamic extremist Nathan Abela has been charged with hindering the police investigation into a shooting at his Greystanes home.
Earlier this month, Mr Abela, 24, described how he commando-rolled over a couch to avoid being hit by eight bullets sprayed through the front of his home in the middle of the night.
He claimed a man came to his front door, yelled out “Nathan, is that you?” and then opened fire before speeding off in a silver Audi.
The shooting came after weeks of escalating drama involving Mr Abela, various Muslim groups, radio broadcaster Ray Hadley and an ex-girlfriend.
Fairfax Media understands that police don’t believe Mr Abela orchestrated the hit on his home but he has been intefering with the police investigation.
Mr Abela claimed to Fairfax Media that police accidentally left a bullet casing behind at the scene of the shooting and they were accusing Mr Abela of refusing to hand it over.
He wouldn’t say whether he had handed the cartridge over to the police or not but he has accused the police of trying to frame him and he believes they are corrupt.
Mr Abela has also been charged with entering enclosed lands and using a carriage service to menace or harass, a charge that relates to dozens of videos he has uploaded to YouTube in recent weeks of him stalking and harassing Muslims.
In one video, he stands outside an Islamic school in Chullora calling it “Fort f—ing Knox in the middle of Sydney with a mosque”.
As part of his bail conditions, he is banned from using YouTube, Twitter or Facebook until he appears in Fairfield Local Court on May 9.
He said he will now “hit the streets with fliers and use the power of SMS” to spread his extreme anti-Islamic views.
Investigators took Mr Abela’s mobile phone off him on Thursday and he used his mother Liza’s phone to send out text message alerts about his arrest on Friday morning.
Days before his home was shot, Ray Hadley attacked him on air, calling him a “grub” for covertly recording a conversation with Hadley’s personal assistant and uploading it to YouTube.
He also appeared in Liverpool Local Court, charged with harassing an ex-girlfriend and breaching an AVO. He applied to be dealt with under mental health legislation.
Several Muslim groups had also been threatening him for weeks and posting his mobile phone number online, urging people to call him at all hours.
It also appears he has been disowned by his own group. In a video uploaded on April 7, Mr Abela said the Australian Defence League’s national president had banned him from uploading videos so he resigned in protest.